This is the most delicious pasta sauce – I like it better than cooked sauces! And it’s so quick and easy. If you like your ‘comfort food’ and are scared to try eating ‘raw,’ why not start with this recipe – it’s satisfying and not so different that the family will complain! I’ve adapted this from one of Serene Allison’s recipes from her wonderful raw ‘cookbook,’ Rejuvenate Your Life. Try to use organic ingredients if at all possible.
The sunflower seeds make this sauce taste ‘cheesey’ – you honestly don’t need cheese on it! You can also add some fresh chilli if you like it hot, and you can use dry herbs if you don’t have fresh (but use less!).
Place all ingredients in Thermomix mixing bowl (or food processor) and blend for 1 min/speed 8.
– 3 very large (or 6 small) tomatoes, quartered (preferably organic & vine ripened)
– 100g sun dried tomatoes
– 1 capsicum, quartered and deseeded (opt.)
– 2 spring onions, trimmed and halved (opt.)
– a large handful of fresh basil leaves
– 1 small sprig fresh rosemary leaves
– 80g extra virgin olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic
– ground black pepper
– 1 tsp fine sea salt
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 4 pitted dates
– 1 Tbsp tamari sauce
– 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
– a handful of sunflower seeds (for creaminess)