Scones have always been a ‘staple’ of our diet – we have them for breakfast or morning tea at least once a week. They’re so quick and easy (pop them in the oven and they’re ready to eat by the time you’ve had a shower)… And they are equally nice with jam and cream, or avocado, salt and pepper! (I never put sugar in my scones, so we can eat them with either savoury or sweet toppings.) We also like them with ‘Eggs-a-la-Goldenrod’ (chopped boiled eggs in white sauce), or white sauce with mince (ground beef). (I know, we have strange things for breakfast!)
Dairy-Free Spelt Scones
440g plain spelt flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
60g macadamia oil, or light olive oil
230g dairy free milk of choice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
2. Add flour, baking power and salt to a Thermomix bowl and mix for 6 sec /speed 6.
3. Add oil and mix in for a few seconds on speed 5.
4. Add milk and vinegar and mix for 5 sec/ speed 5.
5. Set dial to closed lid position and mix for 20 seconds on interval speed. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky. Adjust flour and milk if needed.
6. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and pat into 3cm thick round. Cut scones out with the MC (top of the TMX lid), dipping it into flour after each one. Place onto floured/ greased tray so that scones are touching each other (so that scones rise up and not spread out) Cook in hot oven for about 15 minutes, or until scones are lightly browned, and cooked through (pull centre ones apart to check).
7. Enjoy with butter or jam and cream!