Yippee!!! I found a recipe for dairy free chocolate mousse that tastes like the real thing – light and airy and creamy and chocolatey! It’s so quick and easy and very addictive! I found the original recipe on taste.com (and I think they got it from Super Food Ideas magazine). I converted it to a Thermomix recipe, changed the castor sugar to honey, added more cocoa, and broke out into spontaneous rejoicing at eleven o’clock last night when I tasted it!!! (Probably shouldn’t be eating rich chocolate desserts at eleven o’clock at night, but it was for a good cause, don’t you think?) Thank you taste.com – I am pathetically grateful!
By the way, make sure you use a good quality, organic gelatin like this one!
Note: You can find dutch processed cocoa powder for this recipe in my online store here!
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 2 rounded Tblspns raw cacao powder (or Dutch cocoa powder)
- 50g honey
- 4 room temperature eggs, separated
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Measure boiling water and powdered gelatin into a small measuring jug and whisk with fork until completely combined.
- Add cacao powder and whisk in well until dissolved. This mixture needs to reach room temperature - you can put it in the fridge for a little while if you're in a hurry.
- Weigh honey into a cup and set aside.
- Separate eggs, setting egg yolks aside.
- Place egg whites in Thermomix bowl and add lemon juice (to stabilize the egg whites). Insert butterfly attachment and mix 3-4 mins/speed 4, or until stiff.
- With blades still spinning on speed 4, slowly drizzle in honey, then add egg yolks slowly, one at a time. Pause mixing.
- Check temperature of gelatine/cocoa mixture to make sure it's the same temperature as the egg white mixture. If so, begin mixing again at speed 4, and slowly drizzle cocoa mixture into bowl in a thin stream, until well combined.
- Pour mixture into six small serving cups (or a large bowl) and refrigerate for four hours, or until set and chilled. Or if you're impatient like me, pop them in the freezer for half an hour! 😉
- Dust with some cocoa and serve.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
By the way, this recipe can easily be doubled to make 12 servings at a time – a good idea, since they’ll disappear quickly!