This is my favourite kind of custard. It’s so smooth and creamy… not to mention quick! Delicious with cake or fruit, or just on it’s own. See the notes below the recipe for an egg-free variation as well.
If you’re looking for a chocolate cake recipe to serve with this custard, try one of these:
- Grain-Free, Egg-Free Chocolate Banana Cake
- Chocolate Banana Cake (gluten free)
- Mr. I’s Far-Too-Easy Chocolate Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake
- Chocolate Easter Egg Cake (grain free)
Note: You can find vanilla powder for this recipe in my online store!
Cashew-Honey-Vanilla Bean Custard
- 100g raw cashews
- 600g water
- 1 large tsp of vanilla bean paste or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 eggs
- 50g raw honey (or 70g pure maple syrup), or to taste
- 30g cornflour (or arrowroot)
- Mill cashews in a blender until fine, or in the Thermomix 10 sec/speed 9.
- Add water and blend for 1 minute on high speed, or 1 min/speed 9 in Thermomix.
- In Thermomix: Add vanilla bean paste or powder, eggs, honey or maple syrup and cornflour or arrowroot, and cook 6 mins/90C/speed 4.
- On Stovetop: Whisk all ingredients together in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to whisk for a few minutes until custard thickens and is smooth.
Vegan, Egg-Free Variation: Use 150g cashews, omit the eggs, double the cornflour and swap the honey for pure maple syrup.