Fried chicken is considered a bit of a no-no these days, in our fat-paranoid society. But I love it. The homemade version, that is. My Mum (being a Southern girl from Texas) makes the best fried chicken ever. However, I’ve figured out how to make a healthier version that’s just as good as Mum’s (hope you don’t mind Mum!), and I serve it with lots of salad to make this a deliciously healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy!
This recipe can be made into chicken strips, or cut into nuggets for the kids, or made with whole chicken pieces. (If you’re cooking chicken pieces, you’ll need to have a lid on the pan for part of the time to help them cook through, turning the pieces now and then and checking if they’re done by poking them through the middle with a skewer.)
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cashew or almond milk (or preferred milk)
- a cup or so of rice flour (can make your own in the Thermomix)
- 1 tsp of herb salt
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- a good drizzle of melted coconut oil
- a good drizzle of melted ghee
- Slice up chicken thighs into 2cm strips.
- Whisk up eggs & milk in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together rice flour, herb salt, smoked paprika and garlic powder
- Begin to coat the chicken strips in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture, while heating a large, heavy frying pan with the oil and ghee on med-high heat. The oil & ghee should just cover the base of the frying pan - no need to have the chicken 'floating' in it.
- Fry the chicken strips on both sides until golden brown. If the oil drys out, you can drizzle in a little more. Drain on paper towels and enjoy with lots of fresh salad!
- 4 carrots, quartered
- 2 celery sticks, quartered
- a couple of tablespoons of homemade mayonnaise, or aoli
- a handful of walnuts (optional)
- a handful or two of dried cranberries
- Chop in carrots, celery sticks, homemade mayonnaise or oil, walnuts in Thermomix on speed 5 for about 4 seconds
- Stir in dried cranberries on reverse speed 3 for a few seconds
Very quick and easy… and so satisfying.
- a couple of big handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- a few more handfuls of baby cos lettuce leaves
- spiralized raw zucchini (or super thin slices)
- some avocado slices
- Toss is a big salad bowl all ingredients.