Last night I was in the mood for a big, fresh salad. I’m enjoying having more raw these days. I’m trying to serve up at least 50% raw fruit and veges at mealtimes, plus fruit and veges at snack times either on their own, or in smoothies, juices and sorbets. I had lots of pesticide free, local, fresh fruit and veges in my CSA vege box, so I decided to experiment with what I had, and this is what I came up with. I loved it, but one of my kids wasn’t too keen on the fresh coriander… he picked every little bit out! My sister’s the same – she hates the stuff. So if you are one of those strange people who can’t stand coriander, swap it for Italian parsley. Or maybe a little fresh oregano or basil.
I decided to make this a Tex-Mex style salad, but I didn’t add jalapenos because although the hubby loves them, the kids don’t like things too hot. If you like a bit more of a ‘bite’ to your salad, add a few chopped up jalapenos or maybe a few splashes of jalapeno Tabasco sauce.
I did add some Natural Mesquite Liquid Smoke, which is a real Texan thing and you may not have heard of it… I got mine from Texas, but apparently you can now buy it from USA Foods here in Australia. It is an ‘all-natural liquid smoke with no additives or preservatives’. I love the flavour of mesquite smoke, so now and then I’ll use a little. You don’t need much. It’s great on barbequed meats too!
- 5 fresh cobs of corn
- 1 or 2 cloves raw garlic
- half a red capsicum, deseeded
- half a green capsicum, deseeded
- quarter of a red onion (or more if you like)
- a handful of fresh coriander or cilantro or parsley
- some halved cherry tomatoes or cubed tomatoes
- a handful of roughly sliced snow peas or sugar snap peas
- an avocado, cubed
- a sliced shallot
- 1 tin of black beans or kidney beans or mixed beans
- 4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 big Tablespoons of raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt or herb salt
- freshly ground pepper
- a few dashes of Natural Mesquite Liquid Smoke (optional)
- Cut corn kernels off the cobs and tip into a large salad bowl.
- Mince garlic in Thermomix on speed 7 for 3 seconds.
- Add dressing ingredients to the Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 6 for 5 seconds.
- Add red capsicum, green capsicum, red onion, Coriander and mix on speed 4 for 5 seconds. Tip the chopped veges and dressing into the salad bowl with the corn.
- Add cherry tomatoes, snow peas, avocado, shallot and black beans to salad bowl and mix through gently.
Optional: add some sliced jalapenos, or some jalapeno Tabasco sauce for extra kick!
This is delicious served with barbequed steak or grilled chicken, or as a side dish with Fajitas.