Baked beans on spelt toast
Baked beans on toast makes a great breakfast, lunch, or light dinner… Here’s a yummier, healthier version than the tinned ones, which are high in sugar and salt and who knows what else! I keep a few tins of cannelini beans (or mixed beans) in the cupboard for quick meals like this, but if you have time, cook your own from dry beans and you’ll save money.
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 - 3 whole bacon rashers, rinds removed (bacon optional)
- 30g olive oil
- 3 x 400g tins of cannelini (or mixed) beans, drained and rinsed, (or 750g cooked beans)
- 1 x 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 60g tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice (or just a pinch of ground cloves)
- 2 bay leaves
- 20g molasses
- 20g Rapadura or honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 100g water (optional - depending how thick you want the sauce)
- Place onion, bacon rashers in Thermomix bowl and chop for 5 sec/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides with spatula, add oil, and cook 5 min/100C/speed 1.
- Insert butterfly, add all other ingredients, and cook 15 mins/100C/speed soft.
- Remove bay leaves, check seasonings, and serve with some crusty bread!