Well it’s that time of year again, when the Christmas excitement begins to escalate, and we madly scramble for Christmas cooking ideas and gift ideas, try to tidy up the house because family is coming, and wonder why we didn’t get organised earlier this year like we were planning to??? (Or is that just me? Ha ha!)
Christmas always seems to creep up on me. Probably because I’m working and travelling hard, planning for next year, finishing off the homeschool reports for the year, developing new Christmas recipes, cooking for gifts and parties and Christmas day, and also trying to take some time out with family and friends.
However, we DID manage to get a beautiful Quirky Christmas recipe ebook together using the Grain-Free Dough/Pastry Recipe from our Life-Changing Food cookbook – yay us!!! (If you don’t have our cookbook – or it’s wrapped up and sitting under your Christmas tree and you’re not allowed to open it yet – you can use your favourite pastry recipe with our filling ideas.) Click on the image below to download the ebook!
Note: Want a pastry shortcut? You can buy our Grain-Free Pastry from your local Primalista! See Primal Alternative Stockists for details.
For those of you are still trying to work out your Christmas cooking, here’s a Quirky Christmas Recipe Round-Up for you, as well as our new Paleo Christmas Fruit Cake recipe.
Love listening to podcasts? Here’s some Christmas podcasts from the archives – you’ll find them very helpful for planning your Christmas menus, and calming down that Christmas stress with simple ideas and helpful ways to make this season a time of love, joy, peace, and deliciousness!!
Quirky Christmas Recipe Round-Up
- Christmas Breakfast Casserole (pictured left) – prepare ahead with a delicious casserole you can pop into the oven on Christmas morning while everyone opens their gifts!
- Huevos Rancheros – another savoury breakfast favourite that can be prepared ahead
- Pancakes, 3 Ways (spelt, gluten free & grain free options) – for those who like a sweet breakfast on Christmas morning; serve with blueberry syrup for a delicious start to the day
- Chia Pudding with Roasted Berries – prepare ahead and layer in the morning
- Coconut Vanilla Rice Pudding – an old favourite; add some sultanas and spices to make it Christmassy if you like!
- Banana Pecan Spice Bread – keep it simple and make this bread days ahead, slice and freeze, and toast on Christmas morning
Mains, Sides & Salads
- Turkey with Grain Free Stuffing – if you want a traditional Christmas dinner with a beautiful roast turkey as the centrepiece, here’s a recipe I developed a couple of years ago with a grain free stuffing
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Red Wine Sauce – This is one of my favourite recipes for ANY special dinner! The recipe is on the blog and in our Life-Changing Food cookbook. Super quick to prepare, and very delicious!
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic – another delicious family favourite – make it look amazing by roasting the chicken whole (or butterflied)
- Herb-Crusted Salmon – a very impressive dish that everyone will love! Use King Salmon or your preferred fish if you can’t get wild-caught pink salmon. The traditional recipe is in the Life-Changing Food cookbook, and there’s a Thermomix version on the blog!
- Cauliflower-Leek Mash – a simply delicious side dish for those trying to keep carbs low
- Quinoa Salad – bright and colourful and filling! Serves a crowd
- Moroccan Cauliflower ‘Cous Cous’ Salad (gluten free, grain free) – a main meal salad that is perfect for taking to Christmas parties and BBQs!
Baking & Treats
- Christmas pastries (grain free) – see our Quirky Christmas Recipes Ebook (above) for party favourites like Chocolate Hazelnut Christmas Tree (pictured left), Grain Free Mince Pies, Boxing Day Pasties, Mini Beigli, Apple & Nutmeg Franigpane Tarte, Feta & Mint Fatayer, and more!
- Steamed Christmas puddings (grain free) – GAPS & Paleo friendly recipe with Thermomix method
- Gingerbread Biscuits (grain free) – make your gingerbread men and gingerbread stars, and even Pfeffernussen with this dough!
- Chocolate – our favourite chocolate recipe is in our LCF cookbook – Nutty Chocolate – or if you don’t have the book use this recipe and get creative with fillings!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge – cheaper than chocolate as it used butter instead of cacao butter, and very ‘moreish’ – we nickname it ‘fat bomb fudge’ as it’s half peanut butter, half butter!
- Rapadura & Maple Syrup Butter Toffee – my kids’ favourite Christmas time treat, perfect for a little treat in Christmas stockings, or for gifts
- Raspberry Jelly Cheesecake Slice (both dairy & dairy free versions) – this looks so festive with the bright red jelly on top, and is a healthy, delicious version of an old favourite!
- Raw Macadamia Lime Cheesecake (dairy free) – a Quirky Cooking classic, loved by thousands of people the world over! If you’ve never tried it, you need to!!
- Lemon Berry Trifle (gluten free, grain free) – this quirky trifle is a healthier version of traditional trifle, but don’t be scared off – it’s always been a hit at every party I’ve taken it to!
- Strawberry Jelly Pie (gluten free, grain free) – beautiful, bright red, strawberries-in-jelly filling with an almond meal pastry
- Coconut Vanilla Sorbet (dairy free) – this sorbet is very refreshing, great for a hot Christmas day, served alongside pie or fresh berries
- Dairy Free Chocolate Mousse – simple to make, and an impressive dessert served in crystal glasses with fresh berries on top!
- And of course our Paleo Christmas Cake, recipe below!
Paleo Christmas Fruit Cake
Spice up your Christmas with this delicious, grain free Christmas Cake!
Sarah Moran, from Pursue What is Lovely, joined us in the kitchen to develop this great recipe for Paleo Christmas Fruit Cake. Thanks Sarah!